According to the web site of the Soprintendenza this arch may have been removed perhaps after the death and sentencing of Nero in 68AD (the senate had declared him a Public Enemy) or perhaps to improve the view of the other arches behind.
According to Nappo, some researchers believe it may have been moved northwards to form the arch now known as the Arch of Tiberius.
See Nappo, S., 1998. Pompeii: Guide to the lost City. London: Weidenfield and Nicolson. p. 104.
According to John Dobbins, the arch was “removed in antiquity and the places where its piers were located were filled in with limestone paving slabs in a pattern that identifies the location of the arch”.
See Dobbins, J. J. and Foss, P. W., 2008. The World of Pompeii. Oxford: Routledge. p. 160.
VII.8.00 Forum, looking north. May 2010. The Arch of Augustus is still standing on the west side, on left.
The Arch of Nero on the east side, on right, was perhaps demolished following his death.
Arch of Nero. September 2005. The arch, which is now demolished, was to the east of the Temple of Jupiter.
Arch of Nero. September 2005. Site of arch to east of Temple of Jupiter.
Arch of Nero. About 1871. Site of arch to east of Temple of Jupiter.
Arch of Nero. May 2010. Site of arch.
Arch of Nero. May 2010. Site of demolished arch on the east side of the temple of Jupiter. Looking north.
Arch of Nero. May 2010. Paving slabs on the east side of Temple of Jupiter.
Traces of the foundations of the east and west sides of the demolished arch can be seen.
Arch of Nero. May 2010. Site of foundation for the west side of the demolished arch.
This is against the east side of the Temple of Jupiter.
Arch of Nero. May 2010. Site of foundation for the east side of the demolished arch.
Arch of Nero. Looking south-west across the Forum from the site of the arch.
Photographed 1970-79 by Günther Einhorn, picture courtesy of his son Ralf Einhorn.
Looking north across Forum to Arch of Augustus and the site of the Arch of Nero. Between 1867 and 1874.
Photo by Sommer and Behles. Photo courtesy of Charles Marty.