PompeiiinPictures

Pompeii. Porta di Nocera or Nuceria Gate.

Part 2.                                                          Part 1

 

Pompeii Porta Nocera. December 2006. Masons marks on wall at South West side of gate.

Pompeii Porta di Nocera. December 2006. Masons marks on wall at south-west side of gate.

 

Pompeii Porta Nocera. December 2006. South West side of gate.

Pompeii Porta di Nocera. December 2006. South-west side of gate.

 

Pompeii Porta Nocera. December 2006. South East side of gate.

Pompeii Porta di Nocera. December 2006. South-east side of gate.

 

Pompeii Porta Nocera. Cippus of Titus Suedius Clemens. The Cippus is inscribed:

Ex auctoritate 
imp(eratoris) Caesaris 
Vespasiani Aug(usti)
loca publica, a privatis
possessa T(itus) Suedius 
Clemens tribunus causis c
ognitis et mensuris factis 
rei publicae Pompeianorum 
restituit,  

By virtue of authority conferred upon him by the Emperor Vespasian Caesar Augustus, Titus Suedius Clemens, tribune, having investigated the facts and taken measurements, restored to the citizens of Pompeii public places illegally appropriated by private persons. Similar Cippi were found at the Porta Ercolano, Porta Marina and the Porta Vesuvio. The wording “rei publicae Pompeianorum” on one of these, discovered in 1763, was the first positive identification that the site was Pompeii. Until then scholars had divided opinions on the city buried under Civita.  Many, including the first official excavators, thought it was the ancient city of Stabiae. See Conticello, B., Ed, 1990. Rediscovering Pompeii. Rome: L’Erma di Bretschneider. (p. 225).

Pompeii Porta di Nocera. Cippus of Titus Suedius Clemens. The Cippus is inscribed:

 

Ex auctoritate

imp(eratoris) Caesaris

Vespasiani Aug(usti)

loca publica, a privatis

possessa T(itus) Suedius

Clemens tribunus causis c

ognitis et mensuris factis

rei publicae Pompeianorum

restituit,

 

By virtue of authority conferred upon him by the Emperor Vespasian Caesar Augustus,

Titus Suedius Clemens, tribune, having investigated the facts and taken measurements,

restored to the citizens of Pompeii public places illegally appropriated by private persons.

 

Similar Cippi were found at the Porta Ercolano, Porta Marina and the Porta Vesuvio.

The wording “rei publicae Pompeianorum” on one of these, discovered in 1763, was the first positive identification that the site was Pompeii.

Until then scholars had divided opinions on the city buried under Civita. Many, including the first official excavators, thought it was the ancient city of Stabiae.

See Conticello, B., Ed, 1990. Rediscovering Pompeii. Rome: L’Erma di Bretschneider. (p. 225).

 

 

Part 1