PompeiiinPictures

  

 

 

Back
Home
Up
Next




IV.2.b Pompeii. Casa dei Pilastri colorati. Excavated 1841-3.

 

All the doorways on the northern side of Via Nola, forming Regio IV, have been filled in as a wall to keep the earth bank back from the road.

It is very difficult to find the exact position of these doorways and link them to any site plan.

Liselotte Eschebach has numbered these houses from IV.2.1 to IV.2.7. Our numbering is IV.2.a to IV.2.g, as in CTP IIIA.

See Eschebach, L., 1993. Gebäudeverzeichnis und Stadtplan der antiken Stadt Pompeji. Köln: Böhlau.

 

IV.2.b Pompeii. September 2011. Entrance doorway. Photo courtesy of Michael Binns.

IV.2.b Pompeii. September 2011. Entrance doorway. Photo courtesy of Michael Binns.

 

IV.2.b Pompeii. March 2009. Entrance doorway, with remains of a bench on the west side of it. According to Sogliano, this doorway noted for its square blocks of Sarno stones led to an entrance corridor flanked by two cubicula. The one on the right was decorated with beautiful stucco. Found there on 27th December 1902 were the remains of a human skeleton. Found on 29th December 1902 was a terracotta lamp decorated with a tragic mask. See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1905, (p.280). According to CTP, it was definitely the house at b with the two cubicula near its entrance that was mentioned by Sogliano. See Van der Poel, H. B., 1986. Corpus Topographicum Pompeianum, Part IIIA. Austin: University of Texas. (p.68). According to Luongo et al, the skeleton was found to the right of the entrance in House d. See G. Luongo et al: Impact of the AD79 explosive eruption on Pompeii, in Journal of Volcanology & Geothermal Research 126 (2003) (p.185).

IV.2.b Pompeii. March 2009. Entrance doorway, with remains of a bench on the west side of it.

According to Sogliano, this doorway noted for its square blocks of Sarno stones led to an entrance corridor flanked by two cubicula.

The one on the right was decorated with beautiful stucco.

Found there on 27th December 1902 were the remains of a human skeleton.

Found on 29th December 1902 was a terracotta lamp decorated with a tragic mask.

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1905, (p.280).

According to CTP, it was definitely the house at b with the two cubicula near its entrance that was mentioned by Sogliano.

See Van der Poel, H. B., 1986. Corpus Topographicum Pompeianum, Part IIIA. Austin: University of Texas. (p.68).

According to Luongo et al, the skeleton was found to the right of the entrance in House d.

See G. Luongo et al: Impact of the AD79 explosive eruption on Pompeii, in Journal of Volcanology & Geothermal Research 126 (2003) (p.185).

 

IV.2.b or IV.2.c? Pompeii. March 2009.  East side of entrance.

IV.2.b or IV.2.c? Pompeii. March 2009. East side of entrance.

 

IV.2.b Pompeii. May 2005. West side of entrance.

IV.2.b Pompeii. May 2005. West side of entrance.

 

IV.2.b Pompeii. May 2005. West side of entrance.

IV.2.b Pompeii. May 2005. West side of entrance.

 

IV.2.b Pompeii. May 2006. Entrance (centre).

IV.2.b Pompeii. May 2006. Entrance (centre).

 

IV.2.b Pompeii. May 2006.  Entrance and west side.

IV.2.b Pompeii. May 2006. Entrance and west side.

 

IV.2.b Pompeii. May 2006.  West side of entrance.

IV.2.b Pompeii. May 2006. West side of entrance.

 

IV.2.b or IV.2.c? Pompeii. May 2006. East side of entrance.

IV.2.b or IV.2.c? Pompeii. May 2006. East side of entrance.