PompeiiinPictures

V.3.4 Pompeii. Casa della Soffitta.

Excavated 1877, 1905. Restored 1979.

 

Part 5      Part 6      Part 1      Part 2      Part 3      Part 4

 

V.3.4 Pompeii, May 2005. North-east corner of tablinum. According to Sogliano, in the tablinum there were six large red panels. In the middle of the panels were paintings of medallions showing flying griffins, on black backgrounds. The lower base of the wall was painted black. See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1905, (p.206).

V.3.4 Pompeii, May 2005. North-east corner of tablinum.

According to Sogliano, in the tablinum there were six large red panels.

In the middle of the panels were paintings of medallions showing flying griffins, on black backgrounds.

The lower base of the wall was painted black.

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1905, (p.206).

 

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. North wall of tablinum, in north-east corner, painted medallion of flying griffin.

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. North wall of tablinum, in north-east corner, painted medallion of flying griffin.

 

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Doorway in East wall of Tablinum.

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Doorway in east wall of tablinum.

 

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. East wall of tablinum, painted medallion of flying griffin from north side of doorway.

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. East wall of tablinum, painted medallion of flying griffin from north side of doorway.

 

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. East wall of tablinum, painted medallion of flying griffin from south side of doorway.

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. East wall of tablinum, painted medallion of flying griffin from south side of doorway.

 

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Doorway in east wall of tablinum leading into a front and a rear room.

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Doorway in east wall of tablinum, leading into a front and a rear room.

 

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Rear room on east side of tablinum, south-east corner. According to Sogliano, this room also had an opus signinum floor leading from the front room. Each wall was covered in painted plaster showing three large panels, the centre being red and the sides were yellow. The painting in the centre of the red panels varied.
In the north and south walls there was a rectangular panel showing on the north a bird, but nearly unrecognisable, but probably a game bird, on the south wall a game bird pecking at cherries on the floor. On the east wall, in the centre panel, two doves, also shown on the facing wall. The top of the wall, with a white background, was decorated with numerous green branches, and birds of various species. On the east wall, an owl was seen.
The base of the wall was divided into red panels with plants, by yellow pilasters. This room also had a barrel-vaulted roof. See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1905, (p.209)

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Rear room on east side of tablinum, south-east corner.

According to Sogliano, this room also had an opus signinum floor leading from the front room.

Each wall was covered in painted plaster showing three large panels, the centre being red and the sides were yellow

The painting in the centre of the red panels varied.

In the north and south walls there was a rectangular panel showing on the north a bird, but nearly unrecognisable, but probably a game bird, on the south wall a game bird pecking at cherries on the floor.

On the east wall, in the centre panel, two doves, also shown on the facing wall.

The top of the wall, with a white background, was decorated with numerous green branches, and birds of various species.

On the east wall, an owl was seen.

The base of the wall was divided into red panels with plants, by yellow pilasters.

This room also had a barrel-vaulted roof.

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1905, (p.209)

 

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Rear room on east side of Tablinum. South wall.

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Rear room on east side of tablinum, south wall.

 

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Rear room on east side of Tablinum. South wall.

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Rear room on east side of tablinum, south wall.

 

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Front room on east side of tablinum. North-west corner and north wall. According to Sogliano, this room was covered by a barrel-vaulted roof, and had a window overlooking the garden area and its floor was of opus signinum. Fragments of marble slabs were scattered in the opus signinum, and in the centre was a kind of star enclosed in a panel, both made from small dark marble tesserae. The plastered walls were covered with large red panels divided by large yellow stripes or pilasters, with a white frieze.
The base of the wall was divided into alternate black and red panels. See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1905, (p.208)

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Front room on east side of tablinum. North-west corner and north wall.

According to Sogliano, this room was covered by a barrel-vaulted roof, and had a window overlooking the garden area and its floor was of opus signinum.

Fragments of marble slabs were scattered in the opus signinum, and in the centre was a kind of star enclosed in a panel, both made from small dark marble tesserae.

The plastered walls were covered with large red panels divided by large yellow stripes or pilasters, with a white frieze.

The base of the wall was divided into alternate black and red panels.

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1905, (p.208)

 

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009.  Front room on east side of Tablinum with window overlooking garden in south wall.

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Front room on east side of tablinum with window overlooking garden in south wall.

 

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009.  North wall of Front room on east side of Tablinum, and Corridor to rear.

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. North wall of front room on east side of tablinum, and corridor to rear.

 

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Corridor leading east, to small room on the south side.
According to Sogliano, this corridor on the north side of the front room had wooden door-jambs at the entrance. The walls were lined with rough plaster with a high brick plinth.
On the right, immediately upon entering the corridor, he saw a small niche which had side walls clad in wood. Facing it in the left wall was a rectangular window, fitted with the equal of a sill and jambs made of wood. A second window was at the end of the corridor.
A doorway at the end led into a small room or cupboard. See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1905, (p. 209)

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Corridor leading east, to small room on the south side.

According to Sogliano, this corridor on the north side of the front room had wooden door-jambs at the entrance.

The walls were lined with rough plaster with a high brick plinth.

On the right, immediately upon entering the corridor, he saw a small niche which had side walls clad in wood.

Facing it in the left wall was a rectangular window, fitted with the equal of a sill and jambs made of wood.

A second window was at the end of the corridor.

A doorway at the end led into a small room or cupboard.

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1905, (p. 209)

 

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Small room with remains of shelving supports. According to Sogliano, the small room on the south side of the end of the corridor was covered with a roof. The roof tilted outwards, and some roof tiles remained in situ. The flooring was of broken brick pieces, and the walls covered with rough plaster, with high brick plinth. Found in the east and west walls, at a height of 1.20m from the flooring, were three square holes for each wall. These holes were decorated with a yellow band around them, and were intended to hold the wooden shelving supports. However as there was no trace of either on the walls, he believed they had not yet been put into place. See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1905, (p. 209-10)

V.3.4 Pompeii. March 2009. Small room with remains of shelving supports.

According to Sogliano, the small room on the south side of the end of the corridor was covered with a roof.

The roof tilted outwards, and some roof tiles remained in situ.

The flooring was of broken brick pieces, and the walls covered with rough plaster, with high brick plinth.

Found in the east and west walls, at a height of 1.20m from the flooring, were three square holes for each wall.

These holes were decorated with a yellow band around them, and were intended to hold the wooden shelving supports.

However, as there was no trace of either on the walls, he believed they had not yet been put into place.

See Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1905, (p. 209-10)

 

 

Part 6      Part 1      Part 2      Part 3      Part 4

 

 

 

 

The low resolution pictures on this site are copyright © of Jackie and Bob Dunn and MAY NOT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BE USED FOR GAIN OR REWARD COMMERCIALLY. On concession of the Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali e del Turismo - Parco Archeologico di Pompei. It is declared that no reproduction or duplication can be considered legitimate without the written authorization of the Parco Archeologico di Pompei.

Le immagini fotografiche a bassa risoluzione pubblicate su questo web site sono copyright © di Jackie e Bob Dunn E NON POSSONO ESSERE UTILIZZATE, IN ALCUNA CIRCOSTANZA, PER GUADAGNO O RICOMPENSA COMMERCIALMENTE. Su concessione del Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali e del Turismo - Parco Archeologico di Pompei. Si comunica che nessun riproduzione o duplicazione pụ considerarsi legittimo senza l'autorizzazione scritta del Parco Archeologico di Pompei.

Ultimo aggiornamento - Last updated: 11-Mar-2019 17:41