VI.6.20 Pompeii. May 2005. Looking east at entrance doorway of corner shop.
According to Stefani, this was a large corner sales shop for the bakery at its rear.
On the west wall was a lararium painting with serpent, on the facing wall was a supposed “cross” in stucco.
See Stefani, G. (2005): Pompei. Un Panificio: in Cibi e Sapori a Pompei e dintorni, (p.139)
VI.6.20-21 Pompeii. 1824 drawing relief of a cross in stucco.
See Mazois, F., 1824. Les Ruines de Pompei: Second Partie. Paris: Firmin Didot, p. 88.
According to Stefani, this bakery was called “the bakery of the Christians” (Panificio dei Christiani) because of the relief of a cross in stucco, now vanished.
This was found on the east wall of the shop, and was wrongly interpreted as a cross, the symbol of Christianity.
See Stefani, G. (2005): Pompei. Un Panificio: in Cibi e Sapori a Pompei e dintorni, (p. 139).
According to Della Corte, discovered in 1813 on the east wall in view of the road, was a panel of white stucco.
On this panel in bas-relief was a Christian cross, although stylised, it was an object of veneration found opposite the pagan lararium.
See Della Corte, M., 1965. Case ed Abitanti di Pompei. Napoli: Fausto Fiorentino. (p.115).