PompeiiinPictures

  

 

 

 

Back
Home
Up
Next




Pompeii, Tombe del Fondo Prelatura.

Bibliography

Kockel V. Funde und Forschungen in den Vesuvstadten 1: Archäologischer Anzeiger, Heft 3. 1985, p. 564.

Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1961, pp. 189-200.

Stefani G., 1998. Pompei oltre la vita: Nuove testimonianze dalle necropoli, p. 92.

 

Pompeii, Tombe del Fondo Prelatura. 2012 photo © courtesy of Google Earth.
In 1952 five tombs were discovered during the construction of buildings for the Prelatura di Pompei. This showed that tomb monuments continued to front the road from Porta Nocera, through Fondo Pacifico to Fondo Prelatura.
See Stefani G., 1998. Pompei oltre la vita: Nuove testimonianze dalle necropoli, p. 92.

Pompeii, Tombe del Fondo Prelatura. 2012 photo © courtesy of Google Earth.

In 1952 five tombs were discovered during the construction of buildings for the Prelatura di Pompei.

This showed that tomb monuments continued to front the road from Porta Nocera, through Fondo Pacifico to Fondo Prelatura.

See Stefani G., 1998. Pompei oltre la vita: Nuove testimonianze dalle necropoli, p. 92.

 

Pompeii, Tombe del Fondo Prelatura. 2012 photo © courtesy of Google Earth.
The tombs were discovered in 1952 during the construction of the modern buildings for the Prelatura di Pompei.
See Stefani G., 1998. Pompei oltre la vita: Nuove testimonianze dalle necropoli, p. 92.

Pompeii, Tombe del Fondo Prelatura. 2012 photo © courtesy of Google Earth.

The tombs were discovered in 1952 during the construction of buildings for the Prelatura di Pompei.

See Stefani G., 1998. Pompei oltre la vita: Nuove testimonianze dalle necropoli, p. 92.

 

Pompeii, Tombe del Fondo Prelatura. 2012 photo © courtesy of Google Earth.

“In 1952 about 60 m east of the Fondo Pacifico five more Tombs were discovered during construction work, of which however only two could be investigated, and in turn only one preserved. 
See P. Ciprotti, Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1961, pp. 189-200.
According to Kockel, the graves lie on both sides of the once again paved road to Nuceria. Both buildings were two storeys.
In the very brief investigations due to the construction work, however, only small remnants of the upper storeys were found. 
The Western Tomb has a massive base with small niches for the usual steles in the Herm form.
The pedestal of the eastern tomb with three-quarter columns at the corners and a passage used for burials is to a large extent the type of Porta di Nocera north-east tomb 34aEN. 
The owners (Melissaei, Audia) are known only for the first Tomb. 
Three well-preserved travertine statues (Togatus and Pudicitia variations) belong to one of these structures.
The mausoleums and statues were created in late Republican to mid Augustan period.
See Kockel V. Funde und Forschungen in den Vesuvstadten 1: Archäologischer Anzeiger, Heft 3. 1985, p. 564.”

„Bereits 1952 wurden bei Bauarbeiten ca. 60 m östlich des Fondo Pacifico fünf weitere
Grabbauten entdeckt, von denen allerdings nur zwei genauer untersucht und wiederum nur einer konserviert werden konnte. 
Siehe P. Ciprotti, Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1961, pp. 189-200.
Nach Kockel, die Gräber liegen auf beiden Seiten der hier wieder gepflasterten Straße nach Nuceria. Beide Bauten waren zweigeschossig. 
Bei den durch die Bauarbeiten bedingten sehr flüchtigen Untersuchungen wurden allerdings nur geringe Reste der Obergeschosse gefunden. 
Das westliche Grab besitzt einen massiven Sockel mit kleinen Nischen für die üblichen Stelen in Hermenform; der Sockel des östlichen wiederholt mit Dreiviertelsäulen an den Ecken und einem für Bestattungen genutzten Durchgang weitgehend den Typus von Porta di Nocera Nordost 34a (s.o.). 
Nur für das erste Grab sind die Besitzer bekannt (Melissaei, Audia). 
Drei gut erhaltene Statuen aus Travertin (Togatus und Pudicitia-Variationen) gehören zu einem dieser Bauten. 
Die Mausoleen und die Statuen sind in spätrepublikanischer bis mittelaugusteischer Zeit entstanden.“
Siehe Kockel V. Funde und Forschungen in den Vesuvstadten 1: Archäologischer Anzeiger, Heft 3. 1985, p. 564.

Pompeii, Tombe del Fondo Prelatura. 2012 photo © courtesy of Google Earth.

 

“In 1952 about 60 m east of the Fondo Pacifico five more Tombs were discovered during construction work, of which however only two could be investigated, and in turn only one preserved.

See P. Ciprotti, Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1961, pp. 189-200.

According to Kockel, the graves lie on both sides of the once again paved road to Nuceria. Both buildings were two storeys.

In the very brief investigations due to the construction work, however, only small remnants of the upper storeys were found.

The Western Tomb has a massive base with small niches for the usual steles in the Herm form.

The pedestal of the eastern tomb with three-quarter columns at the corners and a passage used for burials is to a large extent the type of Porta di Nocera north-east tomb 34aEN.

The owners (Melissaei, Audia) are known only for the first Tomb.

Three well-preserved travertine statues (Togatus and Pudicitia variations) belong to one of these structures.

The mausoleums and statues were created in late Republican to mid Augustan period.

See Kockel V. Funde und Forschungen in den Vesuvstadten 1: Archäologischer Anzeiger, Heft 3. 1985, p. 564.

 

„Bereits 1952 wurden bei Bauarbeiten ca. 60 m östlich des Fondo Pacifico fünf weitere

Grabbauten entdeckt, von denen allerdings nur zwei genauer untersucht und wiederum nur einer konserviert werden konnte.

Siehe P. Ciprotti, Notizie degli Scavi di Antichità, 1961, pp. 189-200.

Nach Kockel, die Gräber liegen auf beiden Seiten der hier wieder gepflasterten Straße nach Nuceria. Beide Bauten waren zweigeschossig.

Bei den durch die Bauarbeiten bedingten sehr flüchtigen Untersuchungen wurden allerdings nur geringe Reste der Obergeschosse gefunden.

Das westliche Grab besitzt einen massiven Sockel mit kleinen Nischen für die üblichen Stelen in Hermenform; der Sockel des östlichen wiederholt mit Dreiviertelsäulen an den Ecken und einem für Bestattungen genutzten Durchgang weitgehend den Typus von Porta di Nocera Nordost 34a (s.o.).

Nur für das erste Grab sind die Besitzer bekannt (Melissaei, Audia).

Drei gut erhaltene Statuen aus Travertin (Togatus und Pudicitia-Variationen) gehören zu einem dieser Bauten.

Die Mausoleen und die Statuen sind in spätrepublikanischer bis mittelaugusteischer Zeit entstanden.“

Siehe Kockel V. Funde und Forschungen in den Vesuvstadten 1: Archäologischer Anzeiger, Heft 3. 1985, p. 564.