PompeiiinPictures

  

 

 

Home
Up
Next




HGE01 Pompeii. Herculaneum Gate Tombs East Side. Tomb of two unknown people.

Excavated 1764 and 1887. Bombed in 1943. (Eschebach East 1, Kockel Nord 1).

 

HGE01 Pompeii. May 2015. Looking east towards the unfinished tomb, Sepolcro in costruzione.  Photo courtesy of Buzz Ferebee.

HGE01 Pompeii. May 2015. Looking east towards the unfinished tomb, Sepolcro in costruzione. 

Photo courtesy of Buzz Ferebee.

 

HGE01 Pompeii. October 2001. Looking east towards the unfinished tomb, Sepolcro in costruzione.  Photo courtesy of Peter Woods.

HGE01 Pompeii. October 2001. Looking east towards the unfinished tomb, Sepolcro in costruzione. 

Photo courtesy of Peter Woods.

 

HGE01.Pompeii. May 2006. Looking south-east towards the unfinished tomb, Sepolcro in costruzione.

HGE01 Pompeii. May 2006. Looking south-east towards the unfinished tomb, Sepolcro in costruzione.  

 

HGE01. Pompeii. May 2006. Looking south-east.

HGE01 Pompeii. May 2006. Looking south-east.

 

HGE01. Pompeii. May 2006. North and west sides of tomb.

HGE01 Pompeii. May 2006. North and west sides of tomb.

 

HGE01. Pompeii. May 2006. West side, and south side with doorway to grave chamber. In 1887 Sogliano opened the grave chamber and found, covered in earth, two cremation urns enclosed in lead containers. Between the bones in the urns was an As of Cn. Piso (c.23BC), and an As of P. Lurius Agrippa (c.7BC). Also found were the remains of wood work and nails, parts of one of more small boxes richly decorated in  ivory, and a broken small clay ointment bottle. See Kockel V., 1983. Die Grabbauten vor dem Herkulaner Tor in Pompeji. Mainz: von Zabern. (p.111-5, Taf. 32-33). According to Garcia y Garcia, a bomb fell near here in September 1943. This caused the partial destruction and shattering of some blocks of the footings on the east side of this tomb, which had not yet been finished in 79AD. See Garcia y Garcia, L., 2006. Danni di guerra a Pompei. Rome: L’Erma di Bretschneider. (p.160)

HGE01 Pompeii. May 2006. West side, and south side with doorway to grave chamber.

In 1887 Sogliano opened the grave chamber and found, covered in earth, two cremation urns enclosed in lead containers. Between the bones in the urns was an As of Cn. Piso (c. 23BC), and an As of P. Lurius Agrippa (c. 7BC). Also found were the remains of wood work and nails, parts of one of more small boxes richly decorated in  ivory, and a broken small clay ointment bottle.

See Kockel V., 1983. Die Grabbauten vor dem Herkulaner Tor in Pompeji. Mainz: von Zabern. (p.111-5, Taf. 32-33).

According to Garcia y Garcia, a bomb fell near here in September 1943.

This caused the partial destruction and shattering of some blocks of the footings on the east side of this tomb, which had not yet been finished in 79AD.

See Garcia y Garcia, L., 2006. Danni di guerra a Pompei. Rome: L’Erma di Bretschneider. (p.160)